Frequently Asked Questions | Bliss Helper
(+65) 6232 6699 Weekday : 11am - 7pm | Weekend : 11am - 5pm

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

We’re here to help answer your questions and provide all the information you need for a smooth hiring experience.

Maid Agency Support in Singapore

More Questions? Let Us Ease Your Concerns

At Bliss Helper, we want to make hiring a maid as easy as possible.

That’s why we cover all aspects of the process, including:

- Initial interview and selection

- Work permit application

- Security bond and insurance

- Travel arrangements

- Medical screening

- Training

We’ll guide you through every step to make sure everything complies with Singapore law.

Our FAQ section is here to answer any additional questions you may have.


The cost of hiring a maid in Singapore includes the levy cost. The standard monthly levy for a migrant domestic worker (MDW) is $300 ($9.87 daily).

For additional MDWs, the monthly levy is $450 ($14.80 daily). The levy must be paid monthly by the employer in the form of GIRO payments. If the employer doesn’t have a valid GIRO account, the maid’s work permit will be canceled.

For a first-time maid, the levy begins on the fifth day of arrival (excluding the arrival day). For subsequent arrivals, the levy starts the next day. Employers have until the 17th of the following month before the deduction is made. If the 17th is a non-working day, the deduction will be made on the next working day.

Employers who hire a maid to care for an elderly person (67+), someone with disabilities, or a child (16 or younger) may be eligible for a subsidized monthly levy of $60 ($1.98 daily)

*Please note, there’s a cap of 2 helpers per household and the concession applies to each eligible person in the household.

You can also waive your maid’s (FDW) levy if she:

  • Is on overseas leave for 7+ consecutive days, up to 60 days per year.
  • Is hospitalized and issues a leave by a Singapore hospital, up to 60 days per year.
  • Does not return to Singapore after overseas leave.
  • Is in police custody or at the embassy.
  • Has passed away.

Yes, you can claim tax relief if you are separated, divorced, or widowed, and you live with your unmarried child who you can claim child relief for.

As the employer, you are responsible for all expenses of your migrant domestic worker (MDW). This includes full medical care costs, including hospitalization, and you are not allowed to pass these costs on to your maid.

Given that medical costs can be unpredictable, we strongly recommend that employers purchase comprehensive insurance coverage for their maids to ensure these costs are covered. Consider upgrading your insurance plan for a higher medical coverage.


There are various options available to help you and your maid send her monthly salary back home. You can choose between remittance service providers and banks, both of which have their own set of benefits.

Here’s a breakdown:

  1. Sending Money via Banks:
    • Bank transfer is a secure and convenient option for fund transfer
    • To use this option, your maid will need to open an account with the bank
  2. Sending Money through Remittance Companies:
    • This option may be more cost-effective for smaller amounts
    • No need to open an account, but there may be registration fees
    • No need to maintain a deposit
    • Please make sure the company is licensed before using their services
    • The speed of transfer may vary depending on the company chosen
Note: Migrant Domestic Workers (MDWs) are advised not to gather in large groups and to return home immediately after running errands such as remitting money. For those unable to schedule in-person appointments, e-remittance is available through the linked e-appointment option.
  1. Try to Contact Her
    Before jumping to conclusions, try to contact her and check around your neighbourhood and see if your maid has wandered out without letting anyone know. This can happen and cause unnecessary stress.
  2. Check for Belongings
    See if your maid has taken her personal belongings and especially her passport. If these are gone, it’s likely she has left.
  3. Inform Your Maid Agency
    Get in touch with your maid agency in Singapore so they can keep an eye out and help you find your maid. They can also reach out to her training centre or family members to see if she’s left a message or other information.
  4. File a Police Report
    After you’ve made a reasonable effort to locate your maid, file a police report. They will investigate and find out if she has left the country, or try to locate her by contacting relevant embassies, shelters, hospitals, etc.
  5. Cancel Her Work Permit
    If you can’t find your maid after a few days, you may want to cancel her work permit. This will stop your levy payments and your maid will become an overstayer and face fines, jail time, or both before repatriation.

According to MOM regulations, maids aren’t allowed to become pregnant or give birth in Singapore unless they are married to a Singapore citizen or permanent resident with the government’s approval. If you find out that your maid is pregnant, you should inform MOM and end the helper’s contract. You’ll need to provide MOM’s Work Pass Division with:

  • Maid’s name
  • Work Permit Number
  • Doctor’s letter confirming the pregnancy
  • Spouse’s citizenship (if applicable)

Afterwards, you’ll need to cancel the work permit and purchase a ticket for the maid to return to her home country. Failing to do so could result in losing the $5,000 security deposit.

If you have an unresolved and prolonged issue with your helper, reach out to the Bliss Helper for assistance. We offer mediation and counselling services for both the employers and helpers as well.

Procedures and Regulations

The arrival time for your maid largely depends on the processing time for her work permit and any additional document requirements. The arrival time also depends on the availability of the Entry Approval date from MOM.

If additional processing is necessary, it can take longer for the maid to arrive. Nonetheless, we will follow up closely with the authorities and keep you updated.

Bliss Helper is a reliable maid agency in Singapore that provides a comprehensive service to make the process of hiring a maid as smooth and stress-free as possible. Our services include training and support throughout the entire process, from initial interview and selection to work permit application, security bond, insurance, travel arrangements, medical screening, and more. This ensures that everything is done in compliance with Singapore law and that the transition is as seamless as possible.

We also understand the importance of finding the right match, which is why we dedicate our efforts to matching the best maid for your domestic needs. Our team is available 7 days a week and is always dedicated to providing the best service possible.

The security bond of $5,000 is a requirement for employers of migrant domestic workers (MDWs) and is meant to ensure that employers take responsibility for their upkeep and maintenance, as well as timely salary payment and repatriation

Employers may forfeit the bond if they violate the work permit conditions. However, if the maid breaches these conditions through her own behaviour, the employer will not be held liable. For example, if the maid gets pregnant, the security deposit will not be forfeited. In the case where the maid absconds and the employer is unable to repatriate her, only half of the security bond will be forfeited if the employer has made reasonable efforts to locate her. This sum will be used to cover the cost of repatriating the maid.

Yes, there are alternatives to the security bond, such as purchasing a maid insurance policy. This can be a more cost-effective option, as you can choose a policy that covers the areas of concern that matter most to you, such as runaway bonds.

However, it is important to note that you may still be required to pay the $5,000 security bond if you are not covered by your insurance policy, as it is a requirement by law in Singapore.

Do I need to buy medical insurance for my helper?

  • Yes, you are required by the law in Singapore to purchase both medical and personal accident insurance for your helper. This insurance policy must be in effect before your helper arrives in the country and begins working for you. It is important to note that you, as the employer, are not allowed to pass the cost of insurance to your helper

What are the requirements for purchasing Medical Insurance for my helper?

  • According to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) in Singapore, employers must purchase at least $15,000 per year for inpatient care and day surgery for their helper.

What are the requirements for purchasing Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) for my helper?

  • The PAI policy must have a minimum coverage of $60,000 per year.
  • This coverage is crucial for protecting your helper, as she lives and works in your household and it can be difficult to determine if an injury sustained is work-related.
  • The PAI policy must also cover permanent disability or death from sudden, unforeseen, and unexpected incidents.
  • Additionally, the policy must not have any exclusion clauses that go against the Status of Foreign Manpower Regulations.
  • It is important to keep in mind that the PAI policy provides financial security for both the employer and the helper.
  • If the helper becomes permanently disabled or passes away as a result of an accident, the compensation will be made payable to the helper or her beneficiaries.

Should I get a higher insurance plan for my helper?

  • Given the current COVID-19 pandemic, it is strongly encouraged by MOM for employers to opt for a higher insurance coverage for their helpers. With rising hospitalization costs, it is wise to consider a higher insurance coverage for the added financial protection it provides. However, the choice of insurance plan ultimately depends on your budget and risk tolerance as an employer.

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, what should I consider before purchasing medical insurance for my helper?

  • It is important to verify that the medical insurance plan you are considering covers the treatment and hospitalization costs related to Covid-19. Be sure to closely review the plan's features, including any exclusion clauses.

As an employer, am I fully responsible for my helper's inpatient and outpatient costs?

  • Yes, as an employer, you are fully responsible for both inpatient and outpatient costs incurred by your helper under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act.

To ensure your maid is healthy and in good condition to work, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) requires her to undergo medical examinations within 14 days of arrival in Singapore. These checks include tests for pregnancy, blood pressure, and viral diseases. Your maid will also need to undergo semi-annual medical screenings to ensure her health continues to meet MOM's standards. This includes regular tests for pregnancy and VDRL, HIV every 2 years, TB after 2 years of stay, and new checks for Body Mass Index (BMI) and signs of abuse. All medical tests should be done at a clinic and submitted to MOM.

As an employer, you are responsible for paying your maid's salary on time and covering her living expenses while she's in Singapore, according to MOM regulations. Additionally, you must be accountable for her well-being.

Yes, all migrant domestic workers (MDWs) who have work permits issued on or after January 1st, 2013 are entitled to a weekly rest day. However, if both parties agree in writing, your maid may work on her rest day in exchange for a replacement rest day taken later in the same month or additional pay. The compensation formula is calculated as the maid's basic salary divided by 26.

The SIP, or "Settling-In-Program," is a one-day orientation for all first-time migrant domestic workers in Singapore. It covers five modules, including an introduction to Singapore, conditions of employment, safety at home and outside, and relationship and stress management.

Your maid must attend the SIP within three days of arrival (excluding Sundays and public holidays) and it will be conducted in her native language for maximum understanding

To transfer your helper, you'll need to log in using the employer Singpass to authorise the agency to handle the transfer of the domestic helper. Keep in mind that the employer will be liable for the helper till the helper's new work permit is issued or cancelled.

Do note that if the helper is due for 6 months medical, medical will have to be done and updated to MOM before the transfer can take place. If the transfer is unsuccessful and the work permit is cancelled or expires, you must repatriate the worker within 7 days at the expense of the employer. The salary of the helper and the off-day compensation will be paid until the day she stops working for you. The employer will need to pay for the food and lodging for the helper's stay at the agency. If the agency is unable to find an employer for the helper after 21 days, the employer will need to repatriate the helper unless the agency is willing to take over the responsibility of the helper.


A transfer maid is a migrant domestic worker who is already working in Singapore for another employer but is looking for a new employer.

This could happen when their 2-year contract is ending or when either the employer or the maid wants to end their employment relationship.

Bliss Helper hires maids from Indonesia and Myanmar.

Singapore citizens, permanent residents, and expatriates with valid work passes are eligible to apply to hire a maid. However, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) must approve the reason for hiring.

Expatriate employers must also show proof of having family members living with them.

To hire a maid, you must be 21 years or older, not an undischarged bankrupt, and have the mental capacity to understand and fulfil your responsibilities as an employer. MOM will also assess your financial ability to hire, accommodate, and support the maid.

Select the Perfect Helper For Your Household

A quality domestic helper who can meet your caregiving requirements is invaluable. Let the best maid agency in Singapore, us, take the burden off you and do your search for one as stress-free as possible.
Tick In-house training provided
Tick Stringent selection of helpers
Tick Video interview available